Thursday 4 October 2012

UNDERCOVER: KICKBOXX

From the moment I went on the website and saw the video I knew that I was going to worked hard whatever class I booked into! I chose the beginners class after a conversation with their receptionist as I don't have much kickboxing. I was a little bit worried that it wouldn't be intense but I was assured that it would still kill me but that it would contain less advanced combinations... they were right!
I got to the studio and was waved up by the instructor. I love the interior of the whole building (annoyingly I forgot to take a picture and can't find one online, sorry!). Aaand the toilets were lovely and clean! I feel very strongly about good shower and toilet facilities and Kickboxx definitely ticks the box.


The class was quite small but everyone there was very friendly and I could tell that they were regulars so it had a really relaxed feel. We started the class running laps of the studio and doing press ups at each end. After this we stretched. By this point I was ready to get punching things! The class was split into sections, these were then repeated but with different exercises.  We started with combinations on the floor followed by what I like to call 'attacking the punch bag' with variations of the combos we'd just learnt. To split up the sections were exercises done for one or two minutes these was ridiculously hard! I had just used up all of my energy punching and kicking and then I had to do press ups, hold the plank position and punch the bad with one hand arrgghh (in a good way!).


When it came to attacking the punch bag, I loved it! It's great because you can apply as much force as you like so it really is one of those you get out what you put in type of classes. The first time on the punch bag I was a bit ropey. My pulse was racing and I was getting to the panting stage but with Jay-Z blaring and the instructor's encouragement I somehow got through it. I'm not sure where the energy came from but I was literally working as hard as I could for the whole class. I was in total outdoor bootcamp mode and definitely felt at the end of the class that I had punch, kicked and sweated enough to have earnt myself a lot of cocktails that evening!


The class is a great combination of kickboxing and a bootcamp class AND it's fun! I've already recommended the class to my house mates and friends and I suggest that everyone in and near the Crouch end area tries it. Your first class is free so you really have no excuse. The class will push you to your limits in that way cross country running used to at school, although somehow it is enjoyable!

Best bit... attacking the punch bag!
Worst bit... the gloves, if you don't have your own you can borrow but as with everywhere they are a bit smelly.
Good for...Toning and stretch


No comments:

Post a Comment