Tuesday 11 September 2012

UNDERCOVER: Yogabeats, Blue Cow Yoga


I was very happy to be back at the calm oasis in the City, however I was running late. I love that Blue Cow is literally 2 minutes from the station and so easy to get to that I found it from memory. I walked down the stairs slightly stressed and into the studio where I was greeted by the Director, Frances Gillibrand. Luckily I wasn't late so I was able to calmly change and get a good spot in the class. Mats are provided and towels are given complimentary, two things which are definitely a bonus if you’re taking class before/after work like I was.



Blue Cow Yoga already has a reputation for having slightly less than conventional workshops so I just had to try yogabeats. Within minutes I knew I wouldn’t be doing many ordinary sun salutations. The first thing David Sye, the instructor, asked us was whether or not we enjoyed yoga. He admitted that he does not, but that he does enjoy having a good time and that was what we would all have! We started with lots of breathing exercises that involved sucking in our stomachs. It sounds strange but it was really energising and surprisingly fun! I attempted some very hard poses that required a lot of balance and control. The best thing about them was that I fell out of them very unsubtly but didn't feel embarrassed (even when I fell into someone), because David encouraged us to laugh at ourselves and then try again. We laughed, sweated and generally had fun to a sound track that included old school hip hop and Aretha Franklin’s ‘Respect’.



We finished the workshop in a very unusual way that I think in any other situation would have scared me. We lined up in two parallel diagonal lines and took it in turns to walk through the tunnel of people with our eyes closed. A we passed someone they gave us praise and love. It was a weird feeling and wasn't helped by the fact that everyone whispered so it felt eerie. By the end of the uncomfortable walk of praise I was left feeling really happy.


The changing rooms are really clean and equipped with deodorant, body lotion, hair dryers, straighteners and hair brushes. Blue Cow Yoga is a great place to practice yoga before or after work as all you need to bring is yourself, clothes and a pound coin for a locker. You don’t even hear the noise of the busy city outside like in other studios I have visited so would definitely recommend it if you want to practice in a quiet haven. Complimentary wine and fruit teas were available after the workshop which was definitely a perfect ending to the day! I stretched, worked hard and genuinely had a good time. I would definitely do yogabeats again!

Best bit… The friendly atmosphere and instructor David Sye
Worst bit…It’s not a regular class
Good for – relaxing, de-stressing and having fun

No comments:

Post a Comment