Monday 27 August 2012

UNDERCOVER: Alchemy, The Centre


Wednesday afternoon open yoga class at 2.30pm

Its a nightmare to find this place - the stables is a huge market and there are no signposts for anything. The centre is based in one of the historic Camden stables built in the late 1800′s. Obviously you're meant to just meander around and look at the stalls, but it was quite frustrating when I was trying to find somewhere specific.  After a few helpful hints from a stall holder I asked, I finally found this little oasis of calm in crazy Camden. I ended up walking in a couple of minutes late, and rather flustered, but they still let me attend the class, and were really helpful at getting me signed in and settled quickly. It's a great space, with a cafe in the front and a big & airy yoga studio with high ceilings.

The class was all about flow and I find that can sometime feel a little relentless & too repetitive, but this class didn't fall in to that trap. It was nicely challenging; we were encouraged to push ourselves as far as we could and take on the challenge. But that meant something different to most of us as there was a varied level of ability in the room. There was no-one really inexperienced or rubbish though! I felt really energised after the class as well as relaxed.
It was unusual for me to have time to attend a mid afternoon, midweek class, but I'm sure all their classes would be similarly relaxing. There was some noise of chatter & music drifting in from outside through the open window but there was also a lovey cool breeze, so it was worth a little murmur of disruption. I do think it might be a bit distracting if the volume went up a bit, for example if you went to a class when people are out for drinks nearby in the evening. I loved the class, so I'll go back again to check it out one night and report back on the noise. 

The changing rooms are nice and clean and spacious, with big lockers, good hairdryers and straighteners to use too. The changing room is on two levels and you have to go down a spiral staircase to get to the showers. It looks very cool, but it's a pretty treacherous climb! 


I'll head back if I'm in the area again. It would be a great place to go for a class with a mate, then a spot of lunch in their cafe, followed by people watching and shopping in Camden. They even have a little treatment spa in the centre, so you could treat yourself to a massage too. What a perfectly indulgent day off!

Best bit - the friendly team
Worst bit - the scary stairs
Good for - spending a bit of time relaxing and rejuvenating
Score - 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment