Sunday 22 April 2012

UNDERCOVER: Bootcamp Pilates. Ouch!


Bootcamp Pilates! There are four studios - I went to the Hoxton one at 152-160 City Road, London, EC1V
The website says 'forget any other form of so-called full body work-out'. I'm pretty sure I'd be out of a job as booty blogger if that turns out to be true, so I thought it was a good idea to check.
(Not me...just a great pic!)

For those of you who have never done a reformer class, the workout beds are based on Joseph Pilatesʼ principles of 100 years ago. He was held in a camp during World War 1, and helped his bed-bound inmates to use their beds to exercise while they were lying down, by using bedsprings, cables, and pulleys. It makes it sound like a form of torture, I know, but bear with me.
I've done reformer classes before, and they are telling the truth when they add the word 'bootcamp' to the title here. It hurts, and it's hardcore. But in a good way! You basically lie on a bed made of comfy leather padding, wood and metal, and do a variety of exercises using your body as the weight, and springs and pulleys for resistance. Many of the exercises are simple planks, push-ups etc, but there were some hilarous bunny hops too, and a standing slide on the bed that vaguely resembles surfing.
The instructor was really attentive and sweet. She made sure we knew everyone was comfortable, and knew what we were doing. She also made a massive effort to make my friend and I feel at home, as we were newcomers to the class. But, she was an iron fist in a velvet glove - every pose was held for longer than other classes Iʼve done, and every move had more reps than Iʼm used to! Feel the burn!!!! As Iʼm a little competitive, I refuse to stop early, although our teacher did remind the class that we could rest whenever we wanted to.
The studios are really lovely, and just a quick hop from Old Street roundabout (grab a coffee at Shoreditch Grind on your way - yummy). The studio is light and airy with high ceilings, and loads of room. The changing rooms are small, but clean and tidy, and they provide complimentary towels. Can I just pause for a little rant here. I love a free towel. I actually get really excited when gyms give you a towel to use, free of charge; less washing for me, no damp heavy towel to drag around all day. So simple, but so satisfying. Happy days (rant over)!
Apparently Nicole Kidman, Jennifer Aniston and Elizabeth Hurley all like Pilates reformer classes. Iʼm not sure I look more like any of them after one class, but I certainly felt the effects of my workout on my core muscles the next day. Sitting up in bed the next morning was rather painful, but I do like to feel the burn, and had pushed myself quite hard in the class.
Best bit - It felt like a proper workout that would strengthen and stabilise my muscles.
Worst bit - It wasnʼt all that much fun.

Good for - Getting stronger and leaner

Score - 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment