Tuesday 1 May 2012

UNDERCOVER: I wanna make you sweat! Bikram Yoga.


As the weekend kicks off, you might be more likely to work up a sweat on a nightclub dancefloor, but I chose my ‘zen goddess’ over my ‘dancing queen’ and spent last Friday night doing Bikram yoga. That’s yoga in 40 degree heat!



It being a Friday, I assumed the class would be pretty quiet as everyone else would be getting the weekend underway. After getting a bit lost I managed to find the studio and buzzed to be let in. I made my way down to a small reception area and joined the long queue of people who had also decided to give Friday night’s drinking session a miss.

Once I reached the till, I filled out a registration form (as I was a first- timer) and was asked whether I had enough water and towels. A friend of mine had (with a knowing look) advised me to take two towels and a big two litre bottle of water.  I thought that seemed a tad excessive, but ended up being VERY glad I had stocked up.

The reception area started to get very crowded by around half past six, but soon enough, they opened the studio doors and let us in. I took a deep breath as I was dreading entering the studio. I expected to be hit with an overwhelming stench of sweat but I smelt nothing! It was incredibly hot in there, but you would never have known forty people had just spent the last hour and a half sweating like lunatics!

I’m not much of a prude (as I’m sure you will all know about me by now) but as I entered the changing rooms I was not prepared for the level of nakedness that faced me! Communal showers and small changing spaces led to a lot of up close and personal moments. But it didn’t seem to bother anyone, so I decided that if you can’t beat them, you just have to join them!

Lisa, our teacher for the session, was really friendly and made sure she knew who the first timers were before we began. She explained to us that staying in the room for the full 90minutes should be our aim for the session and that if we felt faint or a little light headed at any time it was normal, so we should lie down. The lights were turned off except for a few fairy lights that ran along the top of the mirror (it was a twilight class) and the class began.

For those of you who have never done a class, Bikram is made up of 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises, one at the start of the class and one at the end. Two sets of each posture are performed with a 20 second ‘Savasana’ (laying flat on your back to return body to its normal state…that’s the best bit) between each set.

After 90 minutes of stretching in 40+ degree heat, my heart was pumping and the sweat was pouring off me. The class ended with a short prayer and we were allowed to lay in ‘Savasana’ until we were ready to leave.  It was a pretty exhausting class, so I had a lovely rest to round the class off!
Best bit – the positive feeling you have after the class all that stretching is good for the mind! And the fact that you burn waaaaaay more calories than a normal yoga class.

Worst bit – the communal showers and THE SWEAT!!!!!
Time – all ‘proper’ Bikram classes are 90minutes long.
Location – Vestry Street (near Old Street tube) but also locations in West London, North London and Primrose Hill 

No comments:

Post a Comment