Sunday 15 July 2012

UNDERCOVER: Yoga in a loft = Yogaloft!


As soon as the team at Fitness Freak told me about this new studio opening, I knew I had to try it out...even if it meant hopping on the tube to North-West London (!)
Yogaloft is run and owned by Susannah. She is a trained instructor herself and always dreamed of one day owning a yoga studio, and thought it would take ages to make it all happen - but then she walked in to the space which is now Yogaloft, fell in love, and here we are. She says she immediately loved the open space and feel of the place, and I think she was right to take the plunge - it is very bright and airy with a lovely community feel and open, welcoming reception.
The class I did was Iyengar yoga - which is known for using props to make sure you can stretch deep into a pose. I guess the theory is that everyone can do the poses correctly, but some of us need lots of support from blocks and ropes to get it right! The class I did was taught by the lovely Claudia and before you can say ‘om’ I was bending over chairs backwards, stretching into muscles I didn’t know I had, and doing head stands! It was a very personal class and Claudia was an excellent teacher. I learnt so much about the strengths and weaknesses of my body which I have never been told before. I like it when instructors walk around and offer personal tips and help to everyone. I almost felt like it was a 1-on-1 session, but in a group environment. Perfect.
I know I say that I ache after most of the classes I do, but this took things to another level! I actually didn’t even attempt exercise the day after. But, we all need a day off every now and again! And I think sometimes with yoga, the pain just means you need to be doing more classes! It's a good job I write about fitness classes for a living then!


The studios here are stunning, and it’s friendly, welcoming, relaxing and everything you would look for in choosing a yoga class.
Best Bit... A personal yoga experience in a stunning location
Worst Bit... Not sure there is a point for here. I enjoyed every minute! Maybe the ‘ouch’ the next morning!
Good for... a chance for a bit more of a challenge for people who do a lot of yoga. 

3 comments: