Friday 22 June 2012

UNDERCOVER: A visit to Marylebone did not disappoint!

Indaba yoga, 18 Hayes Place, Marylebone, London, UK, NW1 6U

Your first class is free & walk in classes range from £12 to £15 depending on how long they are. I did a free class, and I booked over the phone, just to be sure. 


The name if this place, 'Indaba', means ‘gathering’ apparently. What it actually should translate to is 'yoga centre with a million and one different types of classes, and lovely studios'. They boast on their website about having 'devoted and attentive teachers', and if my instructor Nikos was anything to go by, that's true. He had a gentle sense of humour and I felt like he was constantly adapting the class to the needs of the group. 

I've been to loads of yoga classes and this was one of the best. It wasn't horrendously, exhaustingly challenging...but I felt like I'd done a good workout afterwards. I also felt like the instructor allowed people to try new moves and push themselves, but with his support.  For example, he was very helpful to a girl who wanted to do a headstand, but had never tried properly before. With his assistance, she did a lovely pose! This was an Ashtanga class, so lots of focusing on your breath and working up a good sweat. The room was also heated but only to a warmth that was cosy, rather than Bikram sweaty! 


You can do all sorts of different classes here though, and they do hot yoga if that's your thing. And thankfully, unlike many London yoga studios, they have lovely changing rooms so you can be as sweaty as you like and still emerge from the building looking lovely. Proper lockers, free herbal tea, a comfy waiting area and nice showers go a long way, especially if you've made the 'trek' to Marylebone! 

The studios were warm, light and welcoming. It was a 90 minute class, but after I'd shaken off the initial stress I'd walked in with, the time went past pretty fast. The instructions given in the class were clear, and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, despite a clear difference in ability among the group. 

I'd happily make the journey there again if I needed to unwind.

Best bit - the teacher
Worst bit - they charge for towels. You know how I hate that. 
Good for - Relaxation and testing your capabilities 
The score - 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment